Monday, June 1, 2009

Thai Elvis

Palms Thai, otherwise known as "Thai Elvis", is a true LA landmark. If you haven't been, you must go! It is located in East Hollywood, on Hollywood Blvd at Bronson Ave, right near the 101. It is one of my favorite restaurants in LA - a fun and very affordable place with delicious, authentic Thai food, and a Thai Elvis impersonator to boot. I love to go here with a group of friends or before seeing a movie at the Arclight.

Palm Thai has mostly communal seating, and someone is always singing (either Thai Elvis or his sidekick, Thai Cher) so it offers a very festive, busy environment. Although you may have to wait briefly for a table, the service is very fast. The decor is bright, over-the-top, kitschy, and fabulous. My uncle, who has traveled extensively in Southeast Asia, absolutely loved this place, and said it reminded him of Thailand and Indonesia!

As for the food, everything is great and you really can't go wrong. The menu is huge and so are the portions, especially considering their price. When I eat here, I usually get the same dishes - panang curry with beef (comes with a huge bowl of steamed rice) and pad see ew with chicken - because they are wonderfully satisfying. I also tend to order a bottle of Singha, a light Thai beer. My friends, who love spicy food, swear by the watered spinach and a soup whose name escapes me. On my most recent visit, Jay and I shared fried tofu as an appetizer, followed by my usual entrees. It was delicious!

3 comments:

  1. I've been to Palms Thai before as well, and I look forward to trying your favorite dishes next time I'm there. I remember their papaya salad being absolutely refreshing and zesty, and their soup (tom ka yum?) is really terrific too. How are their spicy dishes? Could customers tell the wait staff what degree of spice to put in a dish or is it kind of all or nothing kind of thing? Thanks for bringing up a fun Thai establishment!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was looking for a good Thai restaurant because I am one of those people who can't eat anything anywhere. I will defnitely try this one as soon as possible.

    Ps. Would you please write the exact adress?

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  3. Their spicy dishes are very good, according to my friends who eat them. You can definitely ask the wait staff for a certain degree of spice - I know this because I always ask for MILD :)

    The address is:
    5900 Hollywood Blvd.
    Los Angeles, CA 90028
    (323) 462-5073

    ReplyDelete