Sunday, June 14, 2009

Review: Echigo

Echigo doesn't look like much from the outside. It is located on the second floor of a Westside LA strip mall, on Santa Monica Blvd near Bundy. Echigo's interior isn't very fancy, either - the decor is sparse and minimalist.

However, the food was truly delicious. Echigo served the best sushi I've had in LA in all of my three years here. The sushi was served on rice with a hint of vinegar. Every piece of fish was extremely fresh and was the perfect size.

I went there last Thursday night with Jay and a few of his friends from work. Little did I know that I wouldn't have any choice in ordering! We all got the Omakase, which I've had once before in Japan. My brother told me that it literally means "trust me", which makes sense - the Omakase comes with 9 or 10 courses of one piece of sushi per course, with an appetizer of sashimi to start. You don't get to choose any part of the menu - it depends on availability and the chef's choices.

The meal was perfect. It was like a carousel of melt-in-your-mouth, delicious, fresh fish. I even tried several types of fish that I had never had before. Unfortunately, I don't remember the names of anything... but I guess it doesn't really matter because the Omakase menu will always vary.

My only complaint was that the service was a bit too fast. That probably seems like an odd complaint... but I think it would've been nice to have a little more time between courses, in order to truly savor each piece of fish.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds yummy! Do you know what "Echigo" means? It's a little strange and quite trusting to let someone else - who may not know you very well - order food for you but sounds like they were successful to getting you something quite delicious. Great name for that 9-course meal - Omakase.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nope, I don't know what it means. I will ask my brother if he knows.

    Jay didn't exactly order for me - we were all at the chef's whim with the Omakase. But I trust him with Asian cuisine... he knows his stuff.

    Hope you are having a wonderful trip!

    ReplyDelete